How Donald Trump Helped My T-Shirt Side Hustle do $100k in a Month
I don't know Trump personally; But I shit you not, he played a major role in how my side hustle, Philly Drinkers LLC had a $100k sales month. Here's the true and incredibly lucky story.
My side biz designs and prints Philadelphia inspired clothing, which we sell online and in a few storefronts across PA. I'm the only employee.
In the spring of 2021, we got a referral through many friends of friends... for a Philly based landscaping company interested in switching apparel providers.
Yes, THAT Four Seasons Total Landscaping; the company that agreed to host the now infamous Rudy Giuliani press conference that launched the protest of the 2020 presidential election.
I was familiar with the Giuliani presser... and the memes that came with it, but I would have never predicted what would follow for my stupid t-shirt hustle.
The Four Seasons folks behind the press conf were awesome, and marketing geniuses in their own right.
MAN, did they capitalize on a golden opportunity... to the tune of over $1M in online clothing sales.
By embracing the situation with humor and not fear of what the world would think of them, they launched a merch store (without a print provider, at first) and were pleasantly surprised.
They did $1.8M in shirt sales in the months that followed.
Back to the spring 2021, Four Seasons had built a fun and engaged social following. The 2020 election protests started to fade, as did their apparel sales.
(Still not a bad 15 mins of fame, right!?) Here's where I came in:
We pitched them on a partnership with Philly Drinkers:
- Host their online store with us.
- Design and create apparel for their staff.
- Print + fulfill their orders.
- Design, create and sell new officially licensed FSTL Philly themed merch.
We launched, and the fun started.
We designed and printed new items, stocked inventory, and fulfilled everything from our warehouse in Lancaster, PA.
We saw a steady bump in sales, I even personally packed and shipped an online order from Tony Hawk.
- LAWN JAWN IPA was being sold in 30+ locations.
- We were still dropping new merch and seeing OK sales numbers.
- A few wholesale accounts at the right time
- The press + traffic behind the doc premiere
- If you believe in something, keep going, keep doing shit.
- When you do NORMAL things, you only get NORMAL results.
- Luck always favors the prepared.